Monday, April 12, 2010

Homemade Fortune Cookies

I decided to share a recipe with you that my friend Tracy shared with me.
I have not made it yet, but it looks good.
This is her picture.

And this is what she had to share.

I found two different basic recipes- one with corn starch, one without. Other than that they are pretty similar. I used the cornstarch one this time and it was a tad thick so I thinned it with a few drops of orange juice, as a citrus taste works well in fortune cookies.

I could only bake these 2 at a time, because they have to be hot (and bendable) to get the fortunes in, and they cool fast. So it takes a while to make a batch.
Trial and error. they're more cakey than the ones in restaurants, but taste quite good. As I said, the paper comes out greasy, but NBD. (I think this means, no big deal?) LOL

Combine 2/3 c flour, 1/2 c extra-fine sugar (I used regular) and 1 Tbsp corn starch in a bowl. Whisk in 3 egg whites, 6 Tbsp melted butter and 1 tsp almond extract.
Grease a cookie sheet well and place 2 or 3 *scant* Tbsp of batter several inches apart. Spread it out a little (when the sheet it warm it will spread itself pretty well) or it will be thick and doughy in the middle.
Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes (I have a "speed bake" on my oven, and once I got the cookies thin enough, they took about 5+) Edges should be browning but the middle still pretty beige when you take them out.
Remove immediately from pan, fold in half with paper strip in between (oh- the "up" side should be the out side. I did the first few wrong) Then bend in half again and place in a muffin tin to keep the bend while it cools.
Repeat... and repeat. This recipe made almost 30 for me- it probably depends on how big you make them. Bigger is ok, just keep them thin.

Thank you Tracy for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment