Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lamb Gyros

I experimented with a new recipe the other night and this is what we had for dinner.

Tzatziki sauce  or cucumber sauce ingredients

Small cucumber, shredded
Bunch fresh mint, leaves finely chopped
 Bunch fresh dill, leaves finely chopped
1 cup Greek-style yogurt, I used Fage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Lamb meat ingredients for marinating.  I marinated for several hours. I then cooked it in some EVOO in large iron skillet until browned on outside, med rare inside. Served on whole wheat pita bread with sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and feta cheese crumbles.
Of course, I skipped the pita bread.  I just ate some of the lamb and veggies with a little feta and the sauce.

2 pounds boneless lamb leg or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
3 tablespoons olive oil
 2 tablespoons brandy  ( the brandy I used was some homemade cherry brandy that someone had gifted my husband)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together all ingredients pour over meat in a ziplock bag and let marinate for up to 24 hrs.  I only did for about 7 hrs, meat was full of flavor.

                             
He kinda overfilled his pita bread, looks messy but he liked it.
Chasey Bug even enjoyed his, well, minus the lettuce and tomatoes that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment