Sunday, May 9, 2010

Chicken & Black Beans


I got this recipe from bariatriceating.com. I just added a few of my own touches for a healthy throw together meal for myself and two of my son's tonight.

It got a thumbs up from them.

Chicken & Black Beans

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup Salsa
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Splenda
One 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
Shredded cheese, sour cream, olives

In a large saucepan, sauté the chicken, onion, and garlic in the olive oil until chicken is cooked through. Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Serve with cheese and sour cream, and sliced olives. (For your family, roll up in flour tortillas and top with cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly. Add a spoonful of sour cream and sprinkle with diced tomatoes or avocados.)

Makes 6 servings. (bariatric patient servings not men with healthy appetite servings! I doubled the recipe for them)
Per Serving: Calories 164; Protein 13 g; Fat 6 g; Carbs 11 g; Sugar 1 g; Sodium 265 mg

I added 2 cups of instant brown rice to the mix and did not drain the tomatoes. I just let the rice cook in the juices. I also used a hot salsa to give it more flavor.



The rice is not included in the stats above. I was just trying to make it more filling for my boys!

1 comment:

  1. Well I think you are working hard at it. Hope Mother's was a happy. Just letting U know I listen to U . Friends forever Linda wow

    ReplyDelete